- The popularity of professional eating as a sport.
- Reasons why professional eaters are true athletes.
- The controversy surrounding eating contests.
- The clear link between professional eating and obesity.
- WRONG - it mentions opposing views on the sport
- WRONG - this is only one view
- CORRECT - it mentions several examples of eating contests that are being cancelled or modified, and some pro-eating contest views
- WRONG - it mentions a link, but does not go into detail
IELTS雅思閱讀測驗技巧 - 文章裡的字彙會以相似字詞表達，也就是不同的字含有相同的意義 例如: gobbling = eating
- 1. Tim Janus ___
- A. Eating contests are nothing new
- 2. Philip Jones ___
- B. Competitive eating doesn't reflect day-to-day over-eating
- 3. George Shea ___
- C. Occasional over-eating does you no harm
- 4. Dr. Lee Kaplin ___
- D. Discontinuing eating contests gives people a clear message
- 5. Brian Wansick ___
- E. Eating in competition is similar to other art forms
- C - Doing it once in a while isn't bad for you, when you do it responsibly
- D - It was a symbolic gesture to get people to address changes in our lifestyle
- A - This … has its roots in fairs and festivals
- B - These competitions are somewhat caricatures of eating behavior ... and don't have much relevance to the obesity problem
- E - Seeing these guys go at a 20 pound turkey is like poetry … It's like a dance
Complete the sentences below with NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS taken from the passage.
- Although popular, professional eating contests cause some viewers to ________.
- The corn eating contents was cancelled because it was seen as an ________ by university authorities.
- ______ demanded changes to be made to the pie eating contest.
- Competitive eaters have to develop their _______ and ________.
- Eating contests attract the same sort of people who would enter ________.
- act of gluttony
- health advocates
- jaw strength; stomach capacity
- a marathon
大部分的人對於是非題(對或錯)都很熟悉。在IELTS雅思測驗裡，有一個選項是"沒有提到" (Not Given)。文章裡有提到的，你才能選擇題目講的是對或錯。如果你無法從文章裡找到題目所提的資訊，你就要選 Not Given。
- Competitive eating started to gain popularity in the US in the 1970s.
- The pie eating contest has featured non-meat pies for several years
- There is an element of comedy to competitive eating.
- Contestants are generally overweight.
- Competitive eating can have long-term side-effects.
- NG – This could be true, but it doesn't mention this.
- F – A vegetarian category was introduced in 2006.
- T - It's a comedic thing _ a combination of Coney Island hucksterism and sports commentary.
- F - Most of us are pretty thin and in pretty good shape.
- NG – No mention is made of this
Obesity: Obesity is becoming a major problem around the world because of people's inactive lifestyles.
Glutton: Tyson's knocked him down twice, but he's back on his feet. What a glutton for punishment.
Converge: Rugby fans will be converging on Paris this week for the big game.
Vegetarian: Most restaurants now offer some sort of vegetarian option.
Compulsion: Olympic athletes have an amazing compulsion to win.